La casa dell'Abate Naldi
At number 24 Via Dante Alighieri, San Quirico's main street, amongst the most important monuments of the village, we find palazzo Simonelli-Santi, once known as "Casa dell'Abate Naldi".
Today it is possible to stay in the "Casa dell'Abate Naldi" in a beautiful suite which has recently been restored.
The suite comprises a bedroom with a four-poster bed, a private sitting room and a bathroom with shower. It opens onto a large drawing room with a balcony overlooking the main street of the village.
From the windows and balcony you have a comfortable view of the various events which take place in the village.
These include the "Mille Miglia" – a vintage car race which happens in May each year and the "Festa di Barbarossa" which is a historical re-enactment held on the third Sunday in June.
The suite is ideal for a special break for couples but it can sleep up to four people on request by converting the private sitting room into a second bedroom.
Breakfast is included and it is served downstairs in the Bar-Enoteca "Il Pozzo". Palazzo Simonelli-Santi belongs to the Italian Association of Historic Houses.
A bit of history
It was built in the 17th century for Matteo Naldi who was a Sienese scientist and doctor to Pope Alessandro VII Chigi.
In 1684 the Simonelli family became owners. Since then it has always been the San Quirico home of this family and the main residence belonging to the farm "Il Rigo".
At the end of the 18th century the surname of Giorgio Santi was added to Simonelli. He was a naturalist, friend of Diderot and Franklin and a follower of the Enlightenment movement. He was also Chancellor of the University of Pisa and a minister in the Grand Duchy.
In 1799 General MacDonald stayed here, he was the head of the French expeditionary force in Italy. From 1860 it was the home of Vittorio Simonelli who was a geology professor at the University of Bologna and the director of Bologna's Natural History Museum.
Palazzo Simonelli-Santi still belongs to the family, who also own Palazzo Gonzago in Pienza, the Castello della Rimbecca in the Val d'Orcia and the Villa di Malintoppo near San Quirico. Chamber Music concerts and plays occasionally take place in the drawing room on the first floor.